Friday, March 2, 2007

sounds; no links this time

Compared to its relatively simple grammar, listening comprehension of English was always the biggest challenge for me as a student, especially in New York City, where everyone seems to have their own unique accent, all of which are equally accepted. The reason for that, other than the carriers’ heterogeneity, is perhaps that there are, in fact, fewer distinct sounds in my native language. Even now, it is very hard for me to tell, for instance, “bad” and “bed” apart from each other. According to rumors, Chinese languages employ, for example, many different versions of “s” at the same time; this probably eliminates for me any chance whatsoever of learning them.

I am glad to acknowledge, though, that the sounds of Japanese appear to be easier to discern. Fortunately, there seem to be few, all of them comprehensible; perhaps I will get away without seven S-s this time.

No comments: