Monday, February 12, 2007

One of my fellow students suggested exchanging useful (?) culture-related online references, the idea I wholeheartedly support. Here is one to start with; I hope there are still some people among us who are not familiar with it.

It is a list of answers to obscure (and not-so-obscure) questions about modern culture and society. Some of the most interesting to me were perhaps
  • What is the difference between a "Mansion" and an "Apaato"?
  • Why is tobacco written in hiragana when all other foreign words are in katakana?
  • What is the longest Japanese kanji?
  • What on earth are those green plastic leaves they put in bento boxes for?

and many more. The reference itself is http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/saq.html

2 comments:

satoza said...

I have never heard of this site. Very interesting... We will make a link on our homepage...どうもありがとう!

Now I am hungry for べんとう. Have you ever tried it before?

satoza said...

Another comment:

My father slurpes when he eats spaghetti.... lol